Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Espressologist Review

Title: The Espressologist 
Author: Kristina Springer 
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux 
Publication Date: October 27, 2009 
Pages: 192 
My Edition: Hardback 
Reading Level: Young Adult 
Where I got it: Henry Holt InGroup

Summary from Goodreads:
What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right?
With overtones of Jane Austen’s Emma and brimming with humor and heart, this sweet, frothy debut will be savored by readers

Review:
I really like the Espressologist cover and the story. The cover goes perfectly with the plot, and I love the coffee mug with the heart. The only thing I don’t like about the cover is the girl’s eyes are just a little too much. The most compelling part of the book would be the great, descriptive characters. Also, I love the plot because it’s so original and cute!  

My favorite part of the story is the middle when Jane becomes the “Espressologist” and starts to match up people by their favorite drink choices. Also the ending was really just perfect, and it didn’t leave off with a cliffhanger which was good. I finished the book pretty fast and really enjoyed reading it. I couldn't put it down once I got into it and wasn’t disappointed by the author’s first novel. I would definitely recommend this cute book to everyone. I'm looking forward to reading other novels by Kristina Springer in the future. 

Rating:



6 comments:

  1. Im dying to read that one, it looks so good!!!. Great review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cute! Great review. I love the concept of an "espressologist" that matches people up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting this on the mail soon (I'm expecting it tomorrow), after reading your review I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so absolutely cute and original - I would love to know someone like Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too. It was just too cute and such a quick read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)