Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday Firsts (8)



The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title and the author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
The book I'm currently reading is the Van Alen Legacy by Melissa De La Cruz. I just started reading it, so I'm not vary far into it yet. I've been dying to read it and finally after being the tenth person on the hold list at the library, I got it...yay! : D I love all the Blue Bloods books and can't wait to devour this one too. This is the first sentence: (it starts off with a sort of intro of a "conversation", but I will just put the first sentence of Chapter 1)

"There had been little time to mourn."
 
This is an okay first sentence. If you have read the first three books and especially the third, this make sense to you but if not, it won't. Since I remember how the last book, Revelations, ended, this does draw me in and make me want to know more. Like I said above, I can't wait to this and find out how everything turns out.

What's your current book's first sentence?


2 comments:

  1. You're first sentence made me sad but curious - who are they mourning?

    My first sentence is "Of all the stupid things he could of done, Brent Staple had to go and do that." - Of all the Stupid Things by Alexandra Diaz - Interesting sentence right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I really like that sentence! It's very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)