Friday, January 1, 2010

Friday Firsts (11)



The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title and the author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
The book I'm currently reading is The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion by L. J. Smith. I read the first two several weeks ago, so I can't wait to read these two. Here is the first sentence:

"Elena stepped into the clearing."
 
That is kind of a lame first sentence if it wasn't the third book in the series. The second book left off with a total cliffhanger, so this sentence makes sense. The show is really good, but it is very, very different from the books. I'm excited to read these sequels because so far it's a pretty good series.

What's your current book's first sentence?


2 comments:

  1. It's so true...I didn't really love the first line of my current read -

    "On the evening of Lucy Scarborough's seventh birthday, after the biggest party the neighborhood had seen since, well, Lucy's sixth birhday, Lucy got one last unexpected gift."

    This is from Impossible by Nancy Werlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's a really long sentence...kind of on the verge of being a run on. I really want to read that book though : D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)