Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Firsts (13)



The first line can make or break a reader’s interest. Just how well did the author pull you in to the story with their first sentence? To participate in this weekly book meme is extremely easy.
  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title and the author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
The book I'm currently reading is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I loved the first book the Hunger Games, so I can't wait to devour this one too! Here is the first sentence:

"I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air."

This first sentence is very nicely written, but it doesn't start off telling much about the story. It's intriguing and makes me excited to read more. The first several pages are good, so I hope it's as good as the first!


What's your current book's first sentence?


2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading both, Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Great first line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am driving myself crazy I just need to read this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so leave me your thoughts! :)